Frequently Asked Questions

When is the REC booklet going to be mailed?

The Rec booklet of activities for children and adults is mailed to residents three times a year: early September, early January, and late May. Classes and programs usually start shortly after the booklet arrives in the homes.

I don’t have my REC booklet anymore. Can you mail me another one?

The booklets are mailed out initially to residents in a bulk mailing in order to maximize cost and timing efficiency. We are unable to mail out additional booklets to individual residences. The Rec booklet is posted online throughout the current season and is often available in person at the Recreation office.

Did Andover Recreation used to be called someting different?

Yes! Many of our long time participants might remember our former name: Andover DCS. Don't worry though - our name may have changed over the years, but our programming is still the same great offerings you know and love.

How can I register for a program?

You can visit the Rec office, 36 Bartlet Street, Andover, MA 01810, 2nd floor, Monday-Friday, 8:30 am-4:30 pm. There is a convenient white mailbox in front of our building if you find yourself up-town after office hours. You can also mail us a registration form with all of the necessary information or call us at 978-623-8340 with a Visa and/or MasterCard. Anyone with access to a fax machine may fax us the registration along with the credit card information at 978-623-8394.

My child is registered for a Rec program. Do I need a copy of a recent physical in order to attend?

No. However, Rec does require all participants to have an emergency information sheet (EIS) on file prior to each programs start date. This EIS must be updated amd filled out annually.

The weather is bad today. Will the program be held?

Rec runs many programs out of doors. We will try to hold the program if possible, which may require you to drive out to the program. Rec has the website,, as well as social media platforms and our regular phone line, 978-623-8340, to check for cancelations. With New England weather, it is difficult to correctly predict when to cancel for classes held hours after the office is closed. We suggest that you call after 2:00 pm for afternoon/evening classes.

Pomps Pond has its own procedures. We will pull everyone out of the water if there is a threat of lightning and/or thunder. Lessons may be held in light rain. Please call the Pond directly for cancellation information at 978-749-9423.

Golf lesson cancellations are determined at the range. Please consult the Rec program booklet for the appropriate contact phone number.

Do Rec programs run on holidays or over school vacation weeks?

Most Andover Recreation programs do not run on holidays or during vacation weeks unless they are a program specified as a Early Release, Holiday, or Vacation Week program.

REC classes DO run on Early Release Days unless otherwise noted.

If a regular Rec program is going to run over a vacation week or on a holiday, you will be notified by the instructor/supervisor of the program ahead of time so you can plan accordingly. If you have any questions about holiday or vacation programming, please feel free to contact us. 

My child is younger than the age guideline you have listed with the course description. He/she has experience playing with older neighborhood children. Can my child take the program?

Rec follows the age guidelines posted in the booklet very carefully. The ages and/or grade levels we require usually equate with skills the child has reached physically or socially and are in place to ensure the safety of everyone involved. We ask that you wait and register when the child meets our requirements.